Thursday, March 1, 2012

Owned by Grace.

This morning it was brought to my attention by one of my lovely roommates that;

"Bridget, today we are as fertile as we are ever going to be. I mean really, people in their 40's and 50's are struggling to have babies and we could do it no problem! Isn't that weird?!" 

That's some good morning wisdom right there. But in all seriousness it got me thinking. Today I am the youngest I will ever be again, DUH, and I'm on a one way train towards certain wrinkles, disease, and death. It's a happy thought. 


There is so much we can't control that it can be quite frightening. I can't control the fact that my time on earth is limited, nor too many details about my life here. What I can control is who ultimately gets my life, who I belong to. 

See, upon the long and often confusing process of discerning that the Catholic church is actually right about everything, I decided that the dumbest thing I could ever do here in these vibrant youthful years of mine would be to own my own life. How BORING! Life is much too short to settle for my life being run by me, I can't imagine a lonelier and more selfish ordeal! Quite frankly, if I followed through on many of the plans and desires I have in this life I know that I would be both bored to death and always hungry for something slightly out of reach. Sounds fun, eh?

Which brings me to ask this delightfully simplistic question; Do you realize that God owns the universe? He has everything in the whole world, seen and unseen, but the one thing that he wants and desires as the treasure of all treasures is something that he doesn't always have. The human heart, YOUR HEART! Personally I'm so flattered that God sees my heart as such a treasure. He guards it with a jealous love that cannot be the result of anything I have done to make myself worthy. It's such a gift! 

When we give the Lord our entire beings; our hearts and our wills, we are giving him the one thing that can be withheld from him. And he wants it so badly. Let him pursue you, he's very charming. 



1 comment:

  1. Aww I think the old lady is cute! Remember friend that although age may take your skin tone and your hair color, it cannot take your beauty. Your beauty is of the soul. All our bodies degrade with time, but the soul is eternal and life abounds in those that walk in the Lord. Following the Lord isn't just the option to make the best use of the limited time we have. In fact the premise is entirely wrong. We don't live in the Lord to experience a taste of eternity in a passing moment; moments are elevated to eternity, eternity does not descend upon a moment. Do not fear time. Time is beautiful. Each passing second is one second closer to grace, one second closer to being wrapped in the arms of the Father. As each second passes we are closer and closer to be fully and totally ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete