Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Few, The Humble, The Severus Snape.

Today I got to thinking about Harry Potter. I was thinking about how upset I am that I will never be able to go to another midnight premiere wearing my plaid skirt, knee high socks, maroon and gold University of Minnesota scarf, high school graduation robe, and poofy hair, all the while putting off my very best snobby British accent. How I pity myself sometimes. I will miss waiting impatiently for the next book to be completed. And how could I forget watching the movie trailers for months until they FINALLY came to the big screen.

But, OH, how I will miss my very favorite character. He has a largish nose, greasy black hair, and a slithering way about him that makes my heart beat a little bit faster...Oh you know who I'm talking about, I know you do!


Severus Snape, everybody; He makes turning to page 394 a really. big. deal. 




GOSH! He's just so fascinating! He compels me! I realize that I often have an inclination for the awesome, gnarly, outspoken, and cleverly versed villain, but this is different, I swear it! Allow me to publicly convince myself that it isn't his swag that I'm so into..


        Reasons Snape Rox Yo Sox:
  1. He can put up a mean fight.
  2. He knows what true love requires. This guy did what actually repulsed him, watching out for Harry. All for the love of his life, Lily. Atta boy. 
  3. He is ever-so-,mysterious. He knows just how to keep 'em coming back for more.
  4. He would totally understand the 8th and final beatitude; Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for the kingdom of heaven shall be theirs.
  5. He demonstrates deep humility aside from his seemingly arrogant demeanor. (See reason no.4)
Fun Fact: My inspiration for writing this, (aside from the gentle prompting of the Holy Spirit, of course!), was happened upon when I was laughing at the Snape Swag meme posted above and right thereafter I caught a glimpse of the cherry-wood crucifix on my desk. (We have my best friend Ericka Lynn to thank for that, she gives the gol' darn best birthday presents!) 

Anyway, I put the two together, and please don't attack me for heresy but I saw Snape on the cross being crucified for a split second. Not necessarily a vision from God, BY ANY MEANS. I'm just really tired and I have the quirkiest of imaginations. But it did get me to thinking about the deep humility of our savior as well as the ways in which Snape's willingness to die for the sake of truth and goodness, and the lack of recognition he required, reflect that of Jesus. 

After all, I spent six or seven books and movies thinking that Severus was pure evil, loyal to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I wanted him gone. Oh, but this was not the case! It reminds me somewhat of the opposition of Jesus as he walked this earth, being spit on and led to his death because he was so wrongly hated. 


SPOILER ALERT: 
In the end Snape loses his life after loyally serving righteousness, purposefully letting others see him as the bad-guy in order to more effectively serve the fate of Hogwarts, Harry Potter, and the wizarding world. That is humility taken up a notch or two, in my opinion, and it reminds me of somebody very dear to my heart. His name is Jesus and he is even better at Defense Against the Dark Arts than Severus Snape himself! It's pretty magical. 
 

 The End, God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment