Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wild Thing

"All good things are wild and free."

The first natural reaction my body has upon reading this quote from mister Henry David Thoreau is a twitch of my upper lip followed by a gag reflex that lurches my whole body over my desk as I expel the entire contents of my delicious salad dinner onto my books, my head down in the chunky acidic goodness that is my vomit, all while probably looking something like this:

...With a few ever-so-slight differences.  

In all seriousness upon first glance this quote makes me want to pull out my own hair. Because when I read this the image that comes to mind is something like but not completely limited to this:


Then again, I have a terrible downfall in that I often judge ideas too quickly to give them a fighting chance. In the case of this lovely little tidbit, I think I have fallen victim to myself once again.

You see, I'm going to make a bold statement that has been made by many before me and many after me. The true Christian life, REAL tangible Christian faith, is the wildest and freest thing in this world. Hahahahaha. I know. I bet you just pictured this and laughed at me:


yea... But really, it is. See, sin is the worst thing in the world. Sin is choosing our way over God's way. It is essentially saying no to God, to what he wants for us, his beloved children. The funny thing is, when we sin the result is very often a higher amount of pleasure than punishment...which is really weird and confusing after you know of God's profound justice. But you know what, God doesn't despise/thinks we should despise sin just because it hurts him. He despises it because it enslaves us and God likes to set his people free. (If you don't believe me, read much of the old testament....whaddupp promised land?!)

So among all of the drugs, sex, and rock & roll, what are the negative consequences? God always gives us what we choose, and if we choose sin he'll let us have it. And what is so enslaving about something that we freely choose? I would propose that sin enslaves us because it addicts our will. The more we sin, the more we become a slave to this sin, until it has its chains around us. The worst part is, we think it's great and dandy the whole time.

See, sin does this to us...

While we are meant to be free of these bindings. Like this...


For we have escaped like a bird out of the fowler's snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped. 

Now, go scream at the night sky. You're free. 


No comments:

Post a Comment