Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Love Story

Confession time. Sometimes I get boy crazy...NO. I rephrase this in the possibly creepiest phrase I will ever write: Husband-crazy. (My 3 lovely roommates and my best friend will vouch for this.) As a mediocre-but-trying-to-be-devout Catholic, I have all of the ambitions that most young Catholic women have:

  1. Meet a good strong single Catholic man
  2. Be courted by said man
  3. Marry said man (after a prayerful engagement period of 9-12 months)
  4. Give birth approximately 9 months after the wedding to a little John Paul or Mary Elizabeth
  5. Spend my days barefoot in the kitchen/laundry room
  6. Repeat steps 4-5....FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
future husband . . .I pity you. 

Hahaha. Not that there is anything wrong with this agenda, AT ALL! If I offended any housewives under these conditions please understand my sick humor. I'm only jealous, really, what a beautiful and humble life! 

Sooo naturally I like a good love story, as was embarrassingly portrayed above. Boy meets girl. Man meets woman. Ricky meets Lucy. Edward meets Bella (ha. haha. hahahaha.) It's quite literally the oldest story known to man. (See Genesis, chapter 2)

I imagine that upon laying eyes on Eve, Adam's reaction must have been something beautiful, something that little girls are told in fairytales. Unfortunately my corrupt human mind can't really comprehend this, but it may have went something like this: 

*gasp*
you're sooo pretttyyyyyy
come here baby.

And then something about a serpent and an apple?.... Whatevs, I'll get to that later. 

The point is, this was true love. No motives, no personal gains, just male and female; naked without shame. Together as God intended. It was quite literally the perfect love story.
Until they gone done and messed it up!!!
You all know the story. 

Interestingly enough, the word used for the serpent that tempted Eve in Genesis can also be translated to dragon-monster.  So, the princess was being attacked and tempted by a dragon, and the noble knight/prince did what? He gave in. He didn't fight for his princess. He took the fruit and ate it. Aaaaand now we have sin in the world. Good one, Adam. 

We hear this story all the time - fairy tales LOVE it. Prince fights mighty fearsome dragon for the girl, often risking his own life and limbs. But at this part Adam kind of failed. What an awful example of manhood from the first man himself!

Luckily, many moons later somebody else came on the scene. A real man. And a real God too. His name was Jesus, Yahweh, the great I AM. And he showed how to truly love a bride, he got the the last word to the dragon. 
 And he crushed him. 


This is my love story. And it's yours too. And it calms my boy-craziness with a simple sigh and a sign of the cross. So I wait, because I know that unless any relationship I'm in strives to imitate this one, I'll be selling myself and my partner short of true love. And why would I ever do that, because really, who doesn't love a happy ending? 



6 comments:

  1. My Fav. post so far !.your ambitions made me smile and the looping of 4&5 made me LOL :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious and beautiful and full of wonderful sentiments. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Second Adam...amen! Sola Christus.
    "Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned-for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.
    But the free gift is not like the trespass. Forif many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many...Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men" (Romans 5:12-18).

    I have Handel's Messiah going through my head now..."E'en so in Christ, have all been made alive!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks pals =] and thanks for taking the time to read these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! A clever and entertaining way to express some serious theology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I really liked the overall message.

    It's too bad that your first requirement for a man is that he is Catholic - you're missing out on a whole lot of great Christian guys. :)

    ReplyDelete